Next Selection
Having a laugh
Season 2002 Who Said and Did What !
Match Reports 11 Man 2001
Match Reports 11 Man 2002
Club Details
Club Forum
Football News

Match Reports 11 Man 2001

01-April v Real København 5-0
In Kløvermarkens answer to the Madrid derby, Athletico made April Fools out of a woeful Real side to get the 2001 campaign off to a flier. Peter opened the scoring with a shot that somehow found its way into the net, demonstrating to the opposition the importance of having a goalkeeper who can actually catch. A penalty and a speculative cross which dropped into the far corner completed a first half hat trick, putting Peter into the unfamiliar role of club's topscorer. Lars also got himself on to the scoresheet before the break and in a quieter second half a stunning goal from Magnus completed the rout.The back four led by Steve D. and "psycho Niels" killed off any real hopes Real really had.Man of the match was debutant Steve D with 9 votes. Injuries to Steve D., Peter and Neil give cause for concern with Jon still out and Gardner gone missing.
(Neil B)

03-April v Røde Stjerne 1-1
Heavy winds and odd refereeing decisions took the sting out of Bloomsday's power footie in a 1-1 draw against Røde Stjerne.The team had gone through a massive squad rotation,which created some uncertainty,and made passing very difficult.Mads E made his debut playing outfield, as a potential new and very capable goalkeeper(Morten Larsen) took over in goal.Mark G scored the single goal that took Athletico to the top of the table,with a result that proves the strength in depth of the squad.(Anders S)Man of the match was Mads Elling.
21-April v AMB 1-2
A sub-standard performance lacking in imagination, style and determination reaped its just deserts - a defeat at the hands of AMB. Athletico started brightly enough and took the lead through a corner floated over by Streader which a defender may or may not have got a head to (depending on who you ask). AMB equalised by flying in studs first on the Athletico goal from a corner - not pretty and probably not legal. Instead of revitalising, substitutions served only to confuse the formation and almost inevitably AMB scored their second. Boughey saw an effort come back off the post and Sune saw a looping shot agonisingly land against the crossbar but there was little else to shout about and Athletico were forced to accept that this just wasn't their day.
Men of the match Niels and Mark
24-April v N.Zahle 3-2
From the ashes of Saturday's defeat Athletico rose again, to beat off the challenge of a stubborn Zahle's side. Revamped by the return of defenders Devaney, Poole and Hansen (Søren) and reorganised into a dynamic 3-5-2 formation the team exploited the width provided by wingbacks Driffield and Hansen (Niels) to adopt an unfamiliar style of play known as the 'passing game'. The opening goal came on 10 minutes as Boughey latched on to a sloppy back pass, and in typically opportunistic style slotted home to score his first of the season. Shortly after Zahle's got back on level terms as the defence failed to clear their lines, and Anders was left with no chance in the Athletico goal. Two set pieces put Athletico back in the driving seat. First a corner met at the front post by Hansen (Niels), then a free kick met by a thundering header from Grundy. Zahle's capitalised on more confusion at the back to go into the break only 2-3 down.
It had by now become clear that our one substitute, the elusive Gardner was not going to show up, so the eleven on the pitch had to knuckle down in the 2nd half to secure the points. The 2nd half made up for in drama what it lacked in goals. Twice Boughey could have spoiled an exciting finale by scoring the decisive goal. First a header after a cross from Streader down the right was caught by a freak gust of wind taking it marginally over the bar. Then minutes later with the keeper and defender racing back to protect their unguarded goal, 'incisive Streader pass', a Boughey shot from the edge of the box heading straight for the top corner... and what do you know - that freak gust of wind again! Near the end the excitement got too much for some as Sune and Lars started a fight - with each other. Zahle's had a weak penalty appeal turned down and a couple of goalmouth scrambles but all in all a good, solid, morale boosting team performance. Peter was man of the match.

29 April v FC Valby 4-4
On a dark, wet Sunday morning in Valby, Athletico brightened up proceedings with their glaringly new yellow kits and a startling performance to salvage a justified draw in an eight goal thriller. The Boddingtons boys started the fresher of the two sides and indeed took the lead when a shot from Boughey was saved by the keeper but rebounded to the feet of Niels Hansen on the edge of the box. He steadied himself before unleashing a pearler of a shot into the far corner. Valby hit back immediatly with a series of counter attacks, breaking fast and combining well in midfield. On one such run a forward was brought crashing down by a full blooded challenge from Strand and was duely awarded a penalty, which was converted. Play resumed in the same style and despite having the better of the play Athletico were hit twice in short succession by swift counter attacks. Boughey pulled one back with a far post header after a great cross from Gardner, but before the half was through Valby had restored their two goal advantage.
During the break we took stock of the situation. Two goals down to a team we should be murdering, the wind now against us, Elling injured, Devaney not shown up, Streader not available with his famous 'incisive passes', Poole looking decidedly queezy from his weekend antics and the rain pouring down - lovely. But as in the previous match everyone dug deep and came out fighting for a strong second half performance. Strand came out fighting more than anyone and was rewarded with a yellow card for his endeavours.
The second half followed a different pattern to the first and chances at both ends became few and far between. However half way through, Elling picked up the ball in midfield, beat one player then another before laying on the ball for Strand whose cross was clinically met by Niels for his second of the game. With the minutes ticking away and Athletico still a goal down, things were getting tense. Then out of the blue Boughey found himself unmarked in the six yard box and turning swiftly he placed the ball sweetly inside the far post - real Roy of the Rovers stuff. In a nail biting finale Anders in the Athletico goal pulled off a great save to keep hold of the point we had all battled so hard to retrieve. Final score 4-4. Man of the match - Elling.
01 May v FC Tietz 4-2
Athletico made the opposition feel like right Tietz as they turned a 1-2 deficit into a 4-2 victory in the dying minutes of a rough and tumble encounter on Kløvermarken. Tietz took the lead at the beginning of the first half and looked like taking their advantage into the second before a glorious looping header from Lars found its way into the back of the net just on the stroke of half time. Tietz got back on top early in the second half and fought tooth and nail to hold on. The three man defence stood firm supported by wing backs Driffield and Strand, until Strand fell awkwardly after a sliding challenge and was forced to retire with a dislocated shoulder. Despite the setback Athletico persisted in a typically direct style, without quite finding the key to unlock a competent Tietz defence. A penalty appeal was turned down after a blatant handball by a Tietz defender. Then just as all looked lost, Boughey found himself in space in the box away from the otherwise close attentions of Tietz number 4, a throw in found its way through and at full stretch he directed the ball in at the near post. Sensing their chance Atletico powered forward with Sune in midfield leading the charge. On a darting move into the box he was brought down and Søren Hansen converted the subsequent spot-kick. For good measure and to make up for being denied a chance at goal moments earlier, Sune completed the scoring with a blistering shot from the edge of the area. The rout complete and Tietz looking like they didn't know what had hit them, Athletico left the pitch with big smiles and three points for their efforts.
7 May v Sport Italia 2-3
What looked to be the perfect Italian job was foiled in the last 20 minutes of a solid Bloomsday performance.
The canny Driffield took over as caretaker manager and surprisingly did not pick himself as centre forward.Sport Italia locked both the changing room doors to discuss tactics.
The missing shirts had been found and the team had the best of the opening 20 minutes.Alas,a cross shot bounced off the far post and trickled into the corner...0-1.Sport Italia'"tactics" consisted of booting the ball as far and high as possible to their bald moaning strikers.Peder was a rock in defence and won everything,Brian tackled well, but Bloomsday were not creating enough chances.
Half time came..."we can beat this lot" said Gez.A tactical change saw Niels withdrawn into a roaming role with Lars playing further up front.This proved productive.A mazy Niels run and pass,Streader swung his trusty right foot and made a complete @rse of himself,the defender missed it-a hopeful lunge with his left foot and 1-1.Not long later a Driff corner came out to Mads who thumped the ball into the back of the net (via a defender and the crossbar).
Sport Italia continued to thump the ball upfield,a great save from Anders, fine midfield battling from Frank and Mark.Andy was kept busy by a tricky winger.We looked in control.It wasn't to be our night though.
A cross and downward header saw the ball squeeze through Anders's fingers.2-2.A Streader shot just went wide,but Sport Italia hoofed and hoofed.A goalmouth scramble after a cross from the right and, despite a brave Ullersted dive, the ball went in.Bloomsday tried to claw back with a series of crosses but Sport Italia hung on.
A disappointed caretaker manager Gez felt we had thrown it away.The team played as a team and can hold their heads high.
Frank "p*tain" was man of the match.
19 May v Fatamorgana IF 2-3
Another blustery day at Kløvermarken, with Bloomsday hoping for three points.It was , however, to be a day of missed opportunities.
Boughey and Streader both had good chances and Magnus was running riot down the right wing as Bloomsday attacked the wind.
Fatamorgana took the lead with a sweetly struck goal from their striker (who put the fat into Fatamorgana).Elling made some good saves and the centre threesome of Niels,Karl and Jason were busy.
Neil equalised with a typical powerful run and shot.Driffield strutted his stuff, but was unlucky to hit the post with a cross shot.The ref had been frustrating us with a series of dodgy offsides and free kicks.This led to Neil booting the ball away in a childish fit.Yellow card and down to 10 men for the start of the 2nd half.

The plan was to hold the opposition with a lone striker until Neil returned...but we chose to press for a winner and by the time Neil had returned we were 1-3 down.
Mads made some great saves as we pushed up.Niels was in scintillating form...but chances from 3m were missed by Grundy and Boughey, in a spectacular double miss.A Driffield free kick was converted only for the ref to order a retake.Boughey cross, Streader tap-in, 2-3.In the dying seconds the referee disallowed an offside goal and Bloomsday stumbled to their third defeat of the season.
A mixture of poor finishing and naive tactics being the post-match themes.Mads got man of the match.
23 May v FC Knoedel 2-1
It was a match where both teams failed to live up to their reputations. High flyers Knoedel were surprisingly ineffective and Bloomsdays managed to string several passes together on more than one occasion. Despite this the first half was characterised by a spate of missed chances by a forward (don't wish to overuse the surname...(anagram= huge boy..PS)). The breakthrough came midway through the second half when Fryland who had been whinging before the match about not playing further forward got his chance and as if to prove a point, whacked the ball into the roof of the net from close range. Knoedel equalised shortly afterwards following confusion on the right side, but to ensure justice was done on the day Streader popped up to head a long bouncing through ball from Kristensen over the despairing reach of the opponents keeper to claim all three points. Driffield got a yellow card to make the last few minutes more exciting, following a bad tempered performance on the left wing. After the game people rushed off to see either the Champions League Final or for the real conneseurs the Old boys v Celtics. This meant no Man of the match recognition this time although Karl our seventh choice goalkeeper gave a good solid performance between the sticks.
2 June v FC Manhattan 3-4
Having beaten one of the top teams a week earlier and now facing one of the bottom ones, Bloomsdays let complacency get the better of them as they slipped to an entirely unnecessary defeat. After falling behind early on, the team seemed to have got the wake up call they required. When Driffield curled in a free kick and Boughey nodded home a corner it indeed seemed realistic that we could carve out some sort of victory. However on the stroke of half time Ullersted misjudged a shot, letting it bounce back off the post and into the path of a grateful forward who slammed home. During the break Holden showed up but too late for the refs liking so the eleven on the pitch were forced to carry on. This they did in the same way they had left off and therefore fell two goals behind in goalmouth scenes more reminiscent of pinball than football. S. Hansen converted a late penalty after Boughey was ruthlessly blown over in the box but it was too little too late. Hopefully lessons have been learnt. Ullersted was man of the match due to a string of good saves that kept us in the match right until the end.
9 June v Real København 3-0
The news that the worst striker in the b league was unavailable left Real with no option but to pull out...their manager strolling up to the touchline with 5 mins to go to inform us that he only had 6 players...pretty poor really.In a kickabout the defenders kicked the strikers' @sses.
12 June v Røde Stjerne 2-2

'The worst striker in the b-league' became the team's topscorer for the season so far, with two typically opportunistic goals on a windy Kløvermarken. Games between Red Star and Bloomsdays are traditionally tight affairs with three draws in the last four encounters. This proved once again to be the case with the wind direction dictating much of the play. The breakthrough came when a long ball over the top was misjudged by the keeper and Boughey nipped in behind to score. Bloomsdays looked like taking that albeit slender lead into the second half until a minute before the interval. After failing to clear the ball away, a clumsy free kick was conceeded on the right side. As the ball was drilled across in the subsequent play Strand stuck out a foot to clear but could only watch in horror as it was diverted into his own net.
The second half began with a period of sustained pressure on the Bloomsday goal. Ullersted and his defence seemed however equal to it. Just as it seemed as Bloomsdays were getting back into things, a speculative shot from the edge of the area found its way through Ullersted's legs and into the goal.
However as other teams have discovered this season we NEVER lay down and die. The midfield redoubled its efforts Thygesen just back from injury threw himself into everything, Gardner and Kristensen worked tirelessly down the right side and when play was switched to the left Driffield provided some good crosses into the box. Goal chances came as a result. Streader was unfortunate to see an effort hit one post then the other before being cleared to safety and in another incident Boughey and Thygesen got in each others way after a Streader flick on. With about quarter of an hour to go the goal came. After a period of sustained goalmouth pressure an attempted clearance was met by the right boot of Boughey and flew into the top corner.
Agonisingly tight margins dictated that Bloomsdays did not snatch all three points in the closing stages of the match and so it ended. Man of the match was shared between Gardner and Elling and was celebrated with a rendition of a dodgy melody that some are threatening to turn into a club song.
22 June v Huga 5-2
A generally exciting spring season was brought to an inappropriate close with a mind numbingly boring encounter with Huga. From the off our opponents showed little sign of life and it could only be a matter of time before we scored a hatful of goals and went home... Thats what should have happened, but as usual we made things difficult for ourselves and failed to deal with a defence who aided by a referee with no sense of perspective, played the offside trap to 'perfection'. The referee had bought himself a new whistle and was keen to show it off to everyone which was to say the least annoying, not least when he awarded a penalty to Huga for God only knows what. Thankfully Ullersted saved it and from there we built up a lead, first through Streader, then on the stroke of half time Thygesen's persistance paid off and he opened his account for the season. Streader scored again after the break before Huga started a mini revival coming back to 3-2. Streader completed a hattrick and a long range chip shot from Gardner sealed the win. I'm really looking forward to playing this lot again.
12 Aug v AMB 2-1
A wet and windy Kløvermarken early Sunday morning played host to a match which plainly for all to see was the first after the holidays. AMB proved to be the only 'girlie asses' out that day (see Guestbook) and rarely threatened the Bloomsday goal in a first half where they enjoyed wind advantage. It was indeed Athletico who took the lead. A high ball was floated into the box where a defender under pressure from Grundy and Fryland half cleared. The ball fell nicely into the path of Boughey who slammed home the half volley from 10 yards. Early in the second half Athletico were caught on the break and after hitting the bar AMB's striker slotted home giving them a ray of hope. This was short lived however as minutes later Streader was sent clattering to the ground in the box and Søren Hansen cooly fired home the penalty. In the closing stages AMB piled on some late pressure even bringing their keeper forward for set pieces. Their efforts were assisted by the dismissal of Fryland whose half time bragging about his impeccable timing on sliding tackles was the pride before the fall! 10 man Bloomsday's however held out to achieve the perfect revenge for the unjustified 2-1 defeat back in April.
19 Aug v N Zahle 3-4
A put together team were taken apart in the closing stages of a crucial six pointer on Kløvermarken. Bloomsdays took an early 2 goal lead, firstly with a header from Frederiksen then minutes later new boy Lennox broke clear of his marker rounded the keeper before slotting home. Zahles clawed back the deficit before half time. Bloomsdays chopped and changed the formation to accommodate the three subs we somehow managed to accumulate. Misunderstandings arose resulting in unnecessary errors. The second half was evenly balanced it took a picked up back pass to break the deadlock as Lennox fired home from the free kick. At this point the game should have been dead and buried but a lapse in concentration and a failed clearance let Zahles in for an equalizer. With the minutes ticking away both teams could have settled for a draw. Zahles however were having none of it snatching a winner at the death, leaving Bloomsdays to reflect on what might have been.

22 Aug v Huga 10-1>
A rampant Bloomsdays recorded their biggest win for years on a warm summer evening in Valby. Although turning out with no recognised keeper, Fryland and Niels Hansen did good impressions with Kristensen helping out too when Fryland was yellow carded after 10 minutes. They were in any case rarely troubled. Five - nil up at the interval, although on chances it could have been twice that! Finding the net were Lennox (2), Niels Hansen, Grundy and Boughey. In the second half Fryland added his name to the list, Thygesen came in with a diving header, Lennox completed his hattrick, Boughey got his second of the match and Frederiksen his fourth of the season. With five minutes left Huga scored a consolation goal although judging from the internal arguing on the team it served as little consolation.
25 Aug v FC Valby 1-5
Attack proved not to be the best form of defence nor did defence prove the best form of attack as a rearranged Bloomsdays failed to deal with an efficient Valby side - they couldn't do much, but what they could do they did very well. In the opening phase of the game Bloomsdays kept their shape well, passed the ball around and contained a versatile Valby frontline. They even took the lead when a long ball down the middle was taken out wide by Driffield who knocked it across for Frederiksen to finish. The goal seemed to act as a wake up call to the opposition and prompted a more sustained period of pressure. Two goals were scored by half time - both a result of poor marking and clinical finishing. During the break it still seemed conceivable that we would get back into the game. Their defence were slow and left big gaps for us to run into. Unfortunately we rarely gave ourselves chance to exploit the opportunity as time after time play broke down in midfield. As the third, fourth then fifth goal seeped in, so all our self belief, teamwork and fight seeped out. The result finally put an end to our mathematical hopes of winning the title for another year. If we are to clinch a play off spot it will demand a lot more character than that on display today.
07 Sept v FC Tietz 5-2
Furious at the teams dismal collapse against FC Valby a ruthless Boughey 'axed' almost the entire team instead turning to House, Guerin and Henrik to marshall a new look defence together with Strand. Gardner was back to sort out the weeds in midfield, Westbrook was redrafted after two years in self imposed exile and new boys Gerdes and Djamel accompanyed Thygesen. Up front Boughey was assisted by speedy sharp shooter Lennox.
Tietz took early control of proceedings without creating much in the way of clear cut chances. When they did get through Mather made a great saving tackle on the edge of the area. Unfortunately the referee who seemed easily influenced by the oppositions constant moaning saw the episode differently and sent Mather (dead leg and all) for 10 mins in the sin bin. Gerdes took over in goal and dealt with all that was thrown at him. Bloomsdays sat back but continued passing the ball around, building up slowly and attacking swiftly from the half way line. This soon reaped its reward as Boughey beat the offside trap to meet a through ball. After scrambling the ball past keeper and defender the ball was slotted into the open goal. As the half progressed Tietz got more and more irritating - cynical shoves, kicks and constant whinging characterised their style (or lack of). Lennox was denied an obvious penalty and Djamel's patience was stretched to the limit. Finally we won a free kick on the edge of the area. Westbrook's shot was deflected away but as the ball was played back in, Boughey found himself unmarked and fired home.
In the second half Bloomsdays came out napping and almost immediatly found their lead reduced to 2-1. After regaining composure and settling back into the game however any fears of defeat were soon quashed in a 15 minute spell where first Gerdes headed home a floating cross; then Lennox raced through the middle in typical fashion to score a fourth and to finish off Westbrook curled in a free kick from 25 yards. Tietz added one more but were always going to come off second best on a day we produced one of our more accomplished and assured performances of the season. Regular first team players take note NOONE is irreplaceable.

 Best with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 and higher Copyright © 2002 modevo