Next Selection
Plant Gold
Treatment Table
Box Office
League Table 2001-02
Player Spotlight
Club Details
Club Forum
Football News

Plant Gold

PLANT GOLD - Memories from yesteryear!!!

Memory No. 1 from - Mike Clayton THE LEGEND PETE GLEW

I don't know if was the last match of 1997/8 or 1998/9 but Pete Glew grabbed a late consolation goal for Plant. In his obvious euphoria at scoring he ruffled an opponents hair on the way back to the halfway line, unfortunately for Pete the opposing player was a 'physco' and he punched Pete in the face. I turned round to see Pete on his knees in a pile holding his jaw - now this is hardly in the annals of Plant history but let me assure you it was hilarious to witness. If anyone can remember the incident enter a message in the guestbook.

Memory No. 2 from - George Grant RAVENSCLIFFE CELTIC v PLANT 1996

This game was memorable for me for a number of reasons. At the time I was a fringe player just breaking into the team. Prior to kick off my hopes of a place in the starting line up had been raised by the absence of Graham Julian. There was a problem. There were two or three massive holes in the pitch especially in the penalty area full of water. The ref was going to postpone the game. Enter bucket. Emptied of its regulation tap water the pitch was made playable by said bucket emptying the gaping holes. I was knackered but it was worth it. Everybody else wanted to go back home. Never looked back since. Plant won 3-2 and I felt at long last I had established myself in the team. The game was also famous for Danny Burke's goal that wasn't. Struck beautifully in the far corner just inside the post, the ball went through the net. The referree awarded a goal kick !!! There was also the shire horse pulling a trap with a local youth on board racing around the periphery of the pitch !!! Great memory !!!

 Memory No.3 From the Telegraph and Argus Archives: First published on Saturday 10 April 1999:

 Soccer: Wharfedale Sunday League Royal Hotel and Broadford Plant served up a cracking match in the last Cookson Cup quarter-final match -- with the tie going to a penalty shoot-out. Broadford took a first half lead through George Grant before Gavin Schofield levelled for Royal. Although both teams had chances to snatch a winner there were no more goals, despite playing extra time. Broadford had their stand-in goalkeeper Duncan Thorn to thank as he saved two Royal penalties to reach the semi-finals. Plant's penalty scorers were Richard Bovan, Steve Plumb and Dennis Ryan with Royal scorers Sam Lunn and Gavin Schofield. Baildon New Inn kept up the pressure on St Annes at the top of the Premier League with a remarkable second half display against Cricketers Arms. After a goalless first half New Inn piled in 12 second half goals, and could have had even more. Peter Griffiths led the way with four while Len Worby, Nick Pedley, Nick Young and John Barbour all scored two. Ring O Bells moved to within two points of Keighley Athletic by beating them 3-0. Although Keighley had most of the play, Bells closed them down quickly and made their chances count with John Atwell scoring two and Chris Ainsworth one. St Annes kept their six point lead at the top with a comfortable home win over Maguires. The visitors lost their goalkeeper even before the kick-off and Saints played some excellent football to take a 4-0 half time lead. After the break St Annes kept up the pressure and scored four more for an 8-0 win. Paul Driver led the way with five goals, Peter Craven (2) and Joe Bryceland also on target. Ravenscliffe moved into third place in Division One after twice going behind to Silsden Bridge Inn. There were a flurry of goals in the first 20 minutes, but Bridge ran out of steam as Ravenscliffe claimed a 4-2 victory. Shaun Feaviour and Jamie Cunningham were Silsden's scorers. Springfield dropped a place to fourth after losing at home 2-1 to Woodend. Vic took the lead twice through Peter Sherry and paul Mitchell before getting pegged back by Peter Bailey (2). After the break Vics went back ahead through an own goal and one from Russell Brown before Pete Bailey completed his hat-trick two minutes from time with a penalty, but couldn't find the equaliser.

Memory No. 4 - First published on Saturday 14 February 1998:

Wharfedale Sunday League soccer

St Annes Celtic have the Premier Division title in their sights after Roy Mason's first half goal settled the game with reigning champions Keighley Juniors - Celtic now need two more wins to make sure.

Silsden AFC kept their hopes alive by defeating Sandy Lane 5-0. Dave Brown is doing his best to keep the Druids Arms league season alive,. He scored four and Steve Kernan added two more as Boltmakers Arms were beaten 6-1, Dave Hannah replied for the Bolts who still search for their first league win.

Keighley Junior Reserves may be bottom of Division One but they always give their opponents a good game, this week they ran title chasers AFC Branch very close with Tony Cope giving them a first half lead after just 33 seconds.

Richard White and Andy Irving hit back and Branch also missed a penalty but they knew they had been in a game.

Baildon New Inn's 6-2 win against Maguires was their 10th on the trot in the league and they scored all the goals. Peter Griffith scored four andCraig Hyde and Nick Pedley got the ones at the right end whilst both Maquires efforts came from own goals.

Broadford Plant celebrated their biggest win for some time with Steve Plumb and Danny Burke both grabbing hat-tricks. George Grant and Richard Bovan netted singles to beat Cricketers Arms 8-2. Kings 94 maintained their title challenge by beating Windhill Con Club 4-1 with goals from Paul Sweeney(2), Tim Marwood and Simon Wilson.

Royal FC look certain to add the Second Division title to the Third Division trophy they won last year, Spencer Harrison as ever was on the scoresheet with two and the brilliant Sam Lunn got the other to beat Ring o Bells 3-0 for the second time this season, keeper Gary McClafferty saved a penalty.

Dave McManus notched all three for St Annes Celtic Reserves as they beat Calverley Victoria 3-2.

Victoria Hotel had their bid for cup glory snuffed out at Springfield United, an earlier league game ended goalless but Springfield had the ball in the net twice this time through Craig Blessington who also missed a penalty, and Keith Holmes, to take them into the semi-finals of the Cookson Cup.

Bradford Celtic will be Springfields opponents in the last four after their 3-0 win at Wagon and Horses. Wagon were without top scorer Jamie McEwan and it showed as Adam Rhodes(2) and Darren Smith took advantage. Spencer Newlove scored three times for Wilson Transport to take them into the quarter finals by dumping Premier Division side Thackley Shoulder out 5-1, Mazofar Iqbal and Neil Baldwin completed the job.

Silsden Bridge Inn suffered a 2-0 defeat at resurgent Prospect 96 who recorded a second successive win in Division Three, Richard Scaldon and Gary Burnside scored the goals in the first half.

Gavin Collins hit six on his debut for Woodend Rovers last week and he followed that up with another five against Queens Hall. Paul Moorhouse scored the best of the lot in the 6-1 win.

AFC Horsforth beat J.P.L FC 2-1.

Converted for the new archive on 30 June 2000. Some images

 Best with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 and higher Copyright © 2002 modevo