League Tables
Next Selection
Road to Glory 2000
Champions Chapter
Village Icons
Rangers Rag
Club Details
Football News

Latest News

James Marrett  Wednesday, May 01, 2002  21:57 GMT

Tuesday 30th April 2002Orton Rangers were crowned champions again tonight for the second year in a row as they destroyed Halfway House 4-0 away to clinch the coveted shield.  Sunday's dramatic late 2-1 victory over St Marys & St Johns had left the 'Gers just three points away from securing a back-to-back triumph and they did it in style by thrashing Halfway.The champions still have one match to play (on Sunday at home to St George) but the celebrations were underway tonight after a fine victory as Orton rejoiced in their success after a long, hard season. ORTON RANGERS FOOTBALL CLUB - CHAMPIONS AGAIN
Match Report  Wednesday, May 01, 2002  21:34 GMT

Adams thunderbolt sets the ball rolling for Orton's championship chargeOrton Rangers secured their second title in a row as they destroyed Halfway by four goals to nil with a supreme performance on Tuesday evening.  The yellow and green shirted heroes never looked in danger of losing their crown as they wrapped up the league with one match still to play.  Matt Adams set the boys on their way with an early goal and Blain Parker's men never looked back.  Depsite some rocky performances in recent games and the loss of several players Rangers put on a solid, confident display as they cantered to victory and when the referee blew the whistle it signalled the start of the celebrations for Orton, champions again.League fixture - Tuesday 30th AprilHalfway House 0-4 ORTON RANGERS (HT:0-3)GOAL: 1-0  ADAMS ran on to pass from Wayne to give the 'Gers perfect start after less than five minutes, breaking the goalnet in the processGOAL: 2-0  WAYNE fine volleyed finish from superb touch from johnson at the end of wonderful move started by BairdGOAL: 3-0 johnson fired home low past keeper after good work from GilesHalf-timeGOAL: 4-0 THATCHER headed johnson shot in for fifth goal in four games from the stand-in skipperFull-time Starting Team (3-5-2): Gawam; Adams, Cheshire, Thatcher(c), Noakes, Jennings; Johnson (G.Marrett), Giles, Baird; W.Billingsley, D.BillingsleyReferee:- K.HughesMan of match: Steve Baird
Match Report  Wednesday, May 01, 2002  21:18 GMT

Orton Rangers Reserves suffered last minute agony in the Ridley Cup Final as the Sutton Town curse hit ORFC yet again.  Despite taking the lead through a fabulous goal from Dave Shemmans the boys went down 2-1 to Pheasey Reserves, a side a divison above them.  Rangers put in a fine performance and were desperately unlucky not to have at least one penalty.By Phil JohnsonTuesday 30th April 2002 Ridley Cup FinalPheasey Reserves 2-1 Orton Rangers ReservesStarting Team (3-5-2) :J.FarrellA.WyattR.SmithC.JenningsL.SmithL.BrookesP.JohnsonP.ZacaroliD.MordueC.WakemanD.ShemmansSubs:J.BurnA.ReadingM.LaneN.BrookesK.O.1-0  D.Shemmans1-1 HT1-2FT
Match Report  Monday, April 29, 2002  09:29 GMT

Match Report  Thursday, April 25, 2002  19:36 GMT

Cheshire two goal delight but not enough for OrtonOrton Rangers saw their hopes of retaining the title suffer a massive setback with a dismal defeat to second from bottom Reddicap.  On a event-filled evening which saw Simon Jennings sent-off, captain Gregg Marrett and brother James limp off with ankle injuries, and Orton twice throw away the lead it now looks bleak for Rangers in the title race.  Tonights game followed Sunday's disappointing draw at Kypros leaving Rangers with just one point from two encounters from which they expected maximum returns.  It means Orton go into Sunday's big game with league leaders and old rivals St Marys simply having to win.League fixture - Wednesday 24th April 2002Reddicap 4-3 ORTON RANGERS (HT:1-2)GOAL: 0-1GOAL: 1-1 CHESHIRE calm finish into corner after breaking offside trap from Jennings' through-ballGOAL: 2-1 CHESHIRE brought ball inside and fired in right footed shot that squirmed under keeperHalf-timeGOAL: 2-2GOAL: 3-2 THATCHER rose to plant header into net from Cheshire long throwGOAL: 3-3GOAL: 3-4Full-time Starting Team (3-5-2): Lynham; Adams, Cheshire, Thatcher, Farrell, Noakes; G.Marrett (c) (Johnson), Giles, Jennings; Smyth(Shemmans), J.Marrett(Billingsley) Booked: FarrellSent-off: JenningsReferee:- D.Charles Man of match: Peter Cheshire
Match Report  Sunday, April 21, 2002  16:12 GMT

Thatcher equalises from the spotLeague fixture - Sunday 21st April 2002Kypros 1-1 ORTON RANGERS (HT:1-0)GOAL:0-1Half-timeGOAL: 1-1 THATCHER fine strike into bottom left corner after Jennings was brought down for penalty right after half-timeFull-time Starting Team (3-5-2): Lynham; Adams, Cheshire, Thatcher, Farrell, Noakes; G.Marrett (c), Giles, Jennings; Smyth, J.Marrett(Billingsley) Referee:- I.GisbournM.O.M:-  Ryan Farrell
Match Report  Sunday, April 21, 2002  16:07 GMT

A big well done to Orton Rangers Reserves after their 2-0 semi-final success over Case Star Reserves in the Ridley Cup.  Two goals from Dave Shemmans saw them through after a fine display from the lads.  The final will be on Tuesday 30th April at Sutton Town (kick-off 7.30pm)By Phil JohnsonSunday 21st April 2002 Ridley Cup Semi-FinalCase Star Reserves 0-2 Orton Rangers ReservesStarting Team (3-5-2) :J.FarrellA.WyattR.SmithC.JenningsL.SmithL.BrookesP.JohnsonP.ZacaroliD.MordueC.WakemanD.ShemmansSubs:J.BurnA.ReadingM.LaneN.BrookesK.O.1-0  D.ShemmansHT2-0 D.ShemmansFTNext match: Tuesday 30th April 2002 Ridley Cup FinalOrton Rangers Reserves v Pheasey Reserves
Match Report  Sunday, April 14, 2002  21:12 GMT

G.Marrett back on goal trail with magical braceLeague fixture - Sunday 14th April 2002ORTON RANGERS 3-2 Halfway House (HT:1-0)GOAL: 1-0 J.MARRETT fired in after brother Gregg's surging run and precise pass was rolled into his pathHalf-timeGOAL: 2-0 G.MARRETT great move involving Farrell, Smyth and J.Marrett saw J.Marrett square the ball for Gregg who jinked inside defender to finish well with left-footGOAL: 2-1GOAL: 3-1 G.MARRETT delightful curling 30 yard shot landed sweetly in the net after J.Marrett's reverse passGOAL: 3-2Full-time Starting Team (3-5-2): Lynham; Farrell, Adams(Cheshire), Thatcher, Bolton, Noakes; G.Marrett (c), Giles, Jennings; Smyth(Billingsley) J.Marrett)Booked: ThatcherReferee:- P.GordonM.O.M:- Paul Thatcher
Match Report  Sunday, April 07, 2002  16:16 GMT

Shemmans marks debut with goalChallenge Cup Quarter-Final - Sunday 7th April 2002Punchbowl 4-2 ORTON RANGERS (HT:1-0)GOAL: 1-0 PunchbowlHalf-timeGOAL: 2-0 PunchbowlGOAL: 3-0 PunchbowlGOAL: 3-1 SHEMMANS got on end of cross from Giles to knock ball home GOAL: 4-1 PunchbowlGOAL: 4-2 J.MARRETT raced onto precise curling ball from brother Gregg to touch past onrushing keeper Full-time Starting Team (3-5-2): Lynham; Adams(Shemmans), Thatcher, Bolton, Noakes, Cheshire(Brookes); G.Marrett (c), Giles, Farrell; Smyth(J.Marrett), JenningsReferee:- M.O.M:- Michael Bolton
Match Report  Wednesday, April 03, 2002  08:17 GMT

Smyth heralds fightback with 20th goal of seasonMansell Cup Final - Tuesday 2nd April 2002Sutton Coldfield Town F.C.St George 3-1 ORTON RANGERS (HT:2-1)Orton Rangers came so close to landing their first piece of silverware of the season last night but were ultimately left heartbroken as they went down bravely to St George in the Mansell Cup Final.  The blue and black shirted boys were cheered on by the majority of supporters in the crowd but despite a gallant display they were on the wrong end of a 3-1 scoreline.Blain Parker's side had arrived in the final off the back of a morale-boosting 3-1 league win over Case Star on Sunday and had seen off Hardy Spicer and Case Star in this competition on their way to the final.  The big match, postponed by the weather on February 20th, was again held at Sutton Town, scene of many of the 'Gers historic finals in the last five years but proving to be somewhat of an unlucky ground as Orton crashed to their fourth defeat in five finals here.Orton made two changes to the team that won on Sunday as Simon Jennings came back as sweeper and Ryan Farrell returned to centre-midfield.  It meant agony for Neil Noakes, last season's Management's Player of the Year, who dropped down to the bench with Dean Billingsley inelligible to play.Rangers got off to the worst possible start when they fell behind after less than 30 seconds when unfortunate richochets and defensive uncertainty let in the opposing centre-forward to score.  Orton found it hard to get into the game at all early on and found themselves two goals down when they were the victims of a very poor decision by the match officials.  The right-winger seemed several yards offside but was allowed to continue his progress and despite some resistance from Orton goalkeeper Alan Lynham the ball ended in the net to leave Rangers shell-shocked.However Rangers battled back straightaway when a trademark through ball by captain Gregg Marrett sent brother James racing towards the goal.  He sent the ball across the face of goal to strike partner Craig Smyth who volleyed home in style sending the ball straight into the corner.  It was now 2-1 and game on.Rangers tails were up and they spent the remainder of the half throwing all they could at St George.  They had the lion's share of possession and all manner of corners, crosses and long throw-ins from the arms of Peter Cheshire, were causing panic in the box.  Chris Giles and Ryan Farrell were in the thick of it and those two together with the driving force of Gregg Marrett were clearly on top in the midfield.  The defence recovered from a bad start and were looking efficient and composed and defender Paul Thatcher went so close when his header from a Gregg Marrett corner was deflected wide off the post.Right-wing back Matt Adams also was also in advanced positions regularly and could have equalised when sent through by Farrell but his shot was beaten away by the keeper.   The whistle must have come as a relief for St George at half-time.The second half began slowly but Rangers again picked up the pace and continued to boss things.  Smyth sent one shot wide and Orton forced a number of corners.  Adams again had shots on goal, cutting inside to send one effort just over with his left foot.  Orton pressed and pressed but could not find a breakthrough.  They made a change with over 15 minutes to go when forward James Marrett who had worked so hard was replaced by defender Neil Noakes with Simon Jennings, enjoying a good game at the back, moving upfront.With under ten minutes remaining as Rangers tried hard to find the equaliser St George won a free-kick on the left on a rare breakaway.  A vicous cross was sent in and unfortunately goalkeeper Lynham let the ball out of his grasp and into the net signalling the end of the game as a contest.  Rangers continued to fight and then made another change as Steven Baird came on for goalscorer Smyth who made his way off to applause from the crowd.  The final whistle went with the Water Orton side left disappointed but proud of their efforts.Man of the match was Rangers defender Michael Bolton who performed superbly all night against a very difficult opponent.Rangers must now pick themselves up for the run-in to the season starting with a Challenge Cup Quarter Final on Sunday away to Premier rivals Punchbowl.  They then have six league games left to retain their title and must hope that if they maintain the same level of courage and determination then the rub of the green must surely go with them for once at some stage.Starting Team (3-5-2): Lynham; Adams, Thatcher, Bolton, Jennings, Cheshire; G.Marrett (c), Giles, Farrell; J.Marrett (Noakes), Smyth (Baird),M.O.M:- Michael Bolton
Match Report  Tuesday, April 02, 2002  10:28 GMT

Billingsley clocks in with fine headerLeague Fixture - Sunday 24th March 2002Case Star 1-3 ORTON RANGERS (HT:1-3)GOAL: 1-0  SMYTH on the spot to ram home after keeper spilled Adams right-wing crossGOAL: 1-1GOAL: 2-1  BILLINGSLEY great near post header from Cheshire cross after wonderful flowing move between Thatcher, G.Marrett and CheshireGOAL: 3-1 ADAMS brave diving header from Billingsley cross followed another fine piece of playHalf-timeCase Star miss penaltyFull-time Starting Team (3-5-2): Lynham; Adams, Thatcher, Bolton, Noakes, Cheshire; G.Marrett (c), Giles, J.Marrett; Smyth, BillingsleyReferee:- C.BeecheyM.O.M:- Dean Billingsley
Streetly Reserves 1-0 Orton Rangers Reserves
Match Report  Tuesday, April 02, 2002  10:21 GMT

Disappointing last day defeat for GersBy Phil JohnsonLeague Division 3 - Sunday 31st March 2002Streetly Reserves 1-0 Orton Rangers  (HT:0-0)Starting Team (3-5-2) J.Farrell; A.Wyatt, R.Smith(J.Burn), C.Jennings(M.Lane); L.Smith, L.Brookes, S.Taylor, D.Mordue, P.Zacaroli; C.Wakeman, D.Shemmans (A.Reading).Subs:M.LaneA.ReadingJ.Burn0-1HTFTMoM: L.SmithNext match: Sunday 21st April 2002 Ridley Cup Semi-FinalCase Star Reserves v Orton Rangers Reserves
 Best with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 and higher Copyright © 2002 modevo