League Tables
Next Selection
Top Goal Scorers (League & Cup)
Club Details

Latest News

Halliford Colts 2 v 1 NORTH KINGSTON COLTS

Stuart Barrs-James  Friday, May 11, 2001  13:43 GMT

The double dream died at 8.40 pm last night in almost total darkness at The Meadhurst Club.Colts suffered only their second defeat of the season against a powerful Halliford team,but the nature of the game as an enforced double header all but presented the title to the home club.Needing an outright win to secure the title for themselves Kingston started well and for the first 20 minutes controlled the game,however the phase of the match leading up to half time has proved to be a problem time and again this season,and so it was again last night.A hopeful punt forward was misjudged by both the keeper and defenders and the loose ball fell to the feet of a lurking Halliford forward who was able to poke the ball home past the despairing dive of Gary Curry.Worse was to follow when straight from the kick off the Halliford left winger made significant in roads into the Colts area forcing a challenge that left the referee little option but to award a penalty. There followed the only slice of good fortune the team have benefited from all season when the ensuing spot kick crashed against the bar.Soon after this keeper Curry pulled off a great save as Colts held on until half time when the Manager was able to make tactical changes.Replacing the not fully fit duo of Tom Stuckey and Dan Darby and reverting to a 4-4-2 formation Colts came into the second half a team transformed,always looking the better side and matching Halliford in every department.As can happen to a team needing to score the opposition can strike out of the blue. With 20 minutes left,and with virtually their only attack of the half,Halliford scored what proved to be the winning goal.A through ball caught the advancing defenders on the back foot leaving the most dangerous Halliford forward with a clear run at goal.His decisive shot was always destined for the back of the net.Colts refused to give up and the strength of character and physique that has been evident all season again came to the fore.With ten minutes left and playing with three up front,Colts scored when a quick thinking Mark England picked himself up off the floor following a foul and drove the ball home with the retreating Halliford defence still arguing about the decision.Two shots from Andrew Badgery went narrowly over the bar whilst a James Bennett-Burgess close range header from a corner was a couple of inches wide,but Colts couldn't find an equaliser.It is a bitter pill to swallow when a team has scored in all but one of their games and lost only twice all season to think that,depending on other results, we could end up fourth after leading the division for so long. Make no mistake this has been a successful season,the highlight being our deserved cup win,and with players of the calibre of Mark England,Gary Curry,Nick Christie and Mark Mackie pledging themseves to next years campaign in the West Surrey League and summer squad strengthning already in motion WE WILL BE BACK.....
 Best with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 and higher Copyright © 2001 intheteam