League Tables
Next Selection
kevin's Hot Shots
Club Details
Club Forum
Football News

Latest News

Match Report For 15/12/01 v Woodbridge Town

ANDREW SMITH  Monday, December 17, 2001  22:37 GMT

Saturday 15th December 2001 Felixstowe and District Youth League (Under 9ís)

(A Team Match)
Woodbridge Town Youth------0
St. Johns Youth------------------2

On a very cold morning play began with Woodbridge starting strongly, getting two corners that St Johns had to defend well as to avoid them taking the lead. Martin Moore did well, clearing the ball from the foot of George Clark, as he was about to shoot. Gianfranco Mallardo then had to chase back and he got in a great tackle as the Saints started to get into the game with some good passing. Liam Stevens then took the ball from midfield and passed out left to Gianfranco who moved forward before passing inside to Liam. With the Woodbridge keeper, Ryan Bruce coming off his line Liam placed his shot into the net to put the Saints into the lead. Martin, Billy Holland and Liam Hills had a good understanding at the back, clearing the ball at the first attempt and not allowing Woodbridge time on the ball to turn. Oliver Holmes, who had tried some penetrating runs at the Woodbridge defence, was unlucky when he broke through on goal only to see his goal bound shot deflected for a corner. From a goal kick by Billy the ball went to Liam Stevens who again found Gianfranco on the left who dribbled the ball upfield before putting over a strong, low cross that Callum McCarthy met superbly to put the ball firmly into the back of the net for the second. With time running out in the first half Gianfranco got in a vital touch to break down a promising Woodbridge attack.
St. Johns started the second period with a good move that set up Oliver but the well-placed Ryan Bruce saved his shot. Woodbridge were pressing hard and had a great shot deflected for a corner. Haydn Backhouse then had to be alert as he dealt with a high shot, pushing it around the post for a corner. From this George Clark tried a shot that was only just off target, hitting the side netting. Liam Hills then found himself with a shooting chance as the ball was only half cleared, but this went wide of the goal. Oliver had a good run on the left beating two players as he pulled the ball back to the edge of the area where Gianfranco hit a powerful shot that flew inches over the Woodbridge bar. It was good to see the Saints playersí battle for every ball and not allow Woodbridge to play football as Callum again won possession from which a good one-two between Liam Stevens and Oliver gave St Johns a chance but Oliverís shot went the wrong side of the post.

(B Team Match)

Woodbridge Town Youths-------0
St. Johns Youths-------------------4

This match started with Woodbridge going straight on the attack with Reece Booth covering well. From a throw in near the corner post, the ball was knocked into the Saints area but somehow rolled along the goal line before it was cleared to safety. Nino Musolino then controlled the ball in midfield before putting Lewis Robinson through, but keeper Jordan Carver was out quick to make a good save. Woodbridge were pressing hard and only a strong clearance up the right by Matthew Stevens stopped any progress. Jack Nash found himself with no marker as he shot but this went straight to the keeper. A great run down the left by Nino ended with a cross that Lewis Robinson managed to get a foot to and steer it past keeper Jordan Carver for the first goal. Soon after it was Lewisís turn to cross the ball where Marius Aitkins sent a powerful shot past the keeper for the second. With the half coming to a close Bradley Wightman made an important save, flinging himself down to block a hard shot before it was cleared.
Straight from the re-start Lewis Robinson tried a long shot but this was saved. Lewis Phelps then cleared the ball as Woodbridge threatened, but it was soon back in the Saints area as James Relf took up a good position but the shot went wide. A good flowing move that was started by Nino was carried on by Lewis Robinson with a defence splitting pass to Marius but as the forward was about to shoot James Relf was out quick to block and make a fine save. From a throw in Lewis Robinson beat a player before chipping the ball over the keeper only to see it hit the bar and cleared to safety. Lewis then battled hard to win the ball in midfield where he passed to Nino who took the ball forward before slotting it wide of the keeper for the third goal. Some good defending by Reece and Luke Smith set up the next attack when Nino got the ball on the half way line and sprinted for goal, hitting a powerful shot that was still rising when it hit the back of the net.
 Best with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 and higher Copyright © 2001 intheteam