League Tables
Next Selection
Club Details
Club Forum
Football News

Latest News


Stuart White  Friday, April 13, 2001  22:52 GMT

Pudsey Amateurs' faint hopes of promotion were pretty much extinguished following our loss away at still-unbeaten Wetherby Athletic this evening. A win was vital to keep our hopes alive but it was not to be. Both sides started fairly cautiously, and though the home side were trying hard to stamp their authority on the game Pudsey wouldn't let them, with Will Shaw regularly amongst the early flying tackles in the midfield. It was all eventually too much for both of Wetherby's midfield pairing who bleated more than a few times about Will's strong tackles. The number 11 was booked following his attempts to bring Will down. With neither side really having any clearcut chances it looked to be heading into the break goal-less. However, approaching half time Pudsey had a good chance to take the lead, but Phil Curry's header was striahgt at the keeper. Wetherby made us pay for that miss by taking the lead shortly after. The ball was played back to the edge of the box for the number 11 to shoot, he sliced his shot straight to the number 10 who tucked it away. A fortunate goal then to take Wetherby into the break one up.

For the first 10 minutes or so of the 2nd half we took control, though again had nothing to show for it. However, that all changed after around 55 minutes. Following good work from Graeme Topping (on a brief sojourn up north for Easter from Reading)on the right, the ball was squared to Will 25 yards out and, hitting his shot first time, it flew over the keeper and into the roof of the net for a great equaliser. This should have been the incentive for an Ammers onslaught but our attacking prowess unfortunately began to fade, allowing our hosts to get back on top. Their second goal however was a bad one to concede. Phil Curry had his back to play having lost his contact lens, their midfielder went straight past and laid the ball out to the left, where Graeme should have been tracking back but couldn't as he had just pulled a muscle. The number 11 then measured his cross to the edge of the 6 yard box where Richie Walker slid in and was unfortunate to see his attempted clearance fly straight into the net. Wetherby then went further ahead when the ball was touched back for the number 11 to casually place his shot over Jason and in from just outside the box. Pudsey didn't really have time to recover after that, though we did have one last chance late on when Rees Jacobs went on a run down the right, got to the by-line and cut the ball back only for it to go through Simon Lupton's legs arriving at the near post. That pretty much summed it up. A game where we tried hard but perhaps weren't quite good enough on the day to deserve anything from it. There's always next year!!
 Best with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 and higher Copyright © 2000 intheteam