League Tables
Next Selection
Club Details
Football News

Latest News

Colts A overpower Vale

Ian Young  Sunday, April 29, 2001  12:41 GMT

Colts A in 4th place entertained Bourne Vale in 5th needing to win to have any chance of gaining promotion. The last two weeks have seen the confidence soar and this was evident from the kick off. Colts tightly marked and closed down quickly not allowing Vale to settle. Early on follwing a good move on the left between Liam and Stuart then saw Kevin brought down just outside the box. From the resulting free kick saw the same player hit the bar. Good passing in midfield saw us start to create chances and after 10 minutes a quick ball from Mattie Barnes into Kevin's path saw him take on the last defender and from the edge of the box drove the ball into the bottom far corner of the net. Confidence was showing and as we pushed forward the danger came from break aways from Vale and on a couple of ocassions had three or four charging forward. Daniel was solid at the back and controled the defence and also Liam being the last defender was beaten a couple of times but with his speed managed to recover and stopped Vale getting in their shots. Zach was dropping deeper just in front of midfield and upon winning the ball was feeding his midfield. We had the better chances, our shooting was on target and we finished the stronger. Just before half time we should have gone two up when from a well delivered corner the ball should have been headed in but went through the goalmouth and out to safety. This was followed by a strong run down the right by Mattie getting a one-two and crossing into the middle which unfortunately had too much pace and eluded the forwards. Half Time 1-0 The second half saw us get stronger and Stuart was getting hold of the ball feeding the forwards and backing up in support. Mattie, Stuart and Kevin all had shots which brought saves out of the keeper. About 10 minutes into the half we got the vital second goal when a run into the box by Stuart saw him slide the ball into the net. A few minutes later was the icing on the cake when from defence the ball was knocked to Staurt who interchanged passes on the right and the ball found its way into the box and Kevin timeing his run latched onto the ball and side footed the ball inside the post for number three. Having the game won our defence was still pushing forward to assist and on the few times Vale broke through George was there to ensure nothing was going to get passed him. With two minutes to go a shot from the right wing (or was it a cross?)saw the keeper mishandle and Mattie celebrated with the final goal. This was an all round team performance with strong running and finishing up front, workhorses in the middle and with a defence and keeper that just did not want to be beaten. One to go boys! With maximum points from the last three games this has given us a final game away at 2nd placed Brantham with a win seeing us promoted.
 Best with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 and higher Copyright © 2001 intheteam