League Tables
Next Selection
My City view
City Squad
BCFC Officials
Club Details
Club Forum
Football News

Latest News

Huddersfield Town are Down

Adam Bell  Tuesday, May 08, 2001  08:15 GMT

Town dramatically relegated

Huddersfield Town 1 v 2 Birmingham City Full-time
Booth 45
Woodhouse 21
Woodhouse 45

13:30 Kickoff

Huddersfield Town: Vaesen , Armstrong , Gray , Lucketti , Jenkins , Heary (Irons 86) , Baldry (Gallen 73) , Holland , Booth , Facey , Thornley (Gorre 65)
Subs not used: Margetson , Moses
Bookings: Heary 43

Birmingham City : Bennett , Eaden , Gill , Atherton , Purse , Holdsworth , Hughes , Woodhouse , Lazaridis (McCarthy 59) , Johnson A (Furlong 59) , Marcelo (Horsfield 73)
Subs not used: Poole , Bass

Town were dramatically relegated to the Second Division on the final day of the season after their 2-1 home defeat by Birmingham City.
Andy Booth's goal was not enough to save The Terriers who only needed a point to maintain their First Division status.
Crystal Palace's 1-0 win at Stockport and Portsmouth's 3-0 win over Barnsley meant that Lou Macari's men were relegated.
Birmingham who arrived at The McAlpine Stadium with a guaranteed place in the play-offs certainly did not arrive in West Yorkshire for an end-of-season stroll and took the initiative with a goal in the 21st minute.
Stan Lazaridis cut in between two Town defenders and found Curtis Woodhouse in the box and Woodhouse then took a touch before clipping the ball over Nico Vaesen to make it 1-0.
But Town could have been level soon after when Ben Thornley saw his effort cannon back off the post after Simon Baldry's long throw had fallen to the former Manchester United man.
The Terriers then squandered another gilt-edged chance when Andy Booth saw his header hit the post after a superb cross from Thomas Heary.
Booth looked odds on to grab the equaliser but his header across Ian Bennett hit the woodwork.
But Booth did get on the scoresheet just before the break when he stole in at the back post and squeezed in between two defenders before bundling the ball home from close range.
Birmingham though responded within seconds with Woodhouse grabbing his second of the game with a superb diving header.
Andy Johnson's cross from the right was converted by Woodhouse from within the six yard box to give the visitors a 2-1 half-time lead.
Booth came close again to scoring for Town just minutes into the second half when his looping header landed just over the bar.
Macari brought on Kevin Gallen and Dean Gorre with Town looking for that all important goal, but it was Booth who came closest to grabbing the equaliser.
The striker headed powerully towards the Birmingham goal at the back post but Bennett, agonisingly for Town, blocked his effort with time running out.
Dougie Freedman's goal for Palace meant that The Terriers simply had to score to stay up, but it wasn't to be as Town forced corner after corner late in stoppage time, but they just could not break through the Birmingham defence.
And from two places above the drop zone at the start of play Town find themselves playing Second Division football next season.

 Best with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 and higher Copyright © 2001 intheteam