League Tables
Next Selection
My and City Fans view
Club Officials
Club Details
Club Forum
Football News

Latest News

Youth team lose!

Adam Bell  Monday, April 23, 2001  09:46 GMT

Penalty defeats Youths at Millennium Stadium    Issued: 22-Apr-2001 @ 20:25
 City Youths failed to bring any silverware back from the Millennium Stadium on Sunday evening after they went down by the only goal of the game to Leyton Orient in the Final of the Football League Youth Alliance League Cup.

The game itself only eventually got played after the stadium officials were pursuaded to change their mind having wanted to postpone the tie due to the state of the pitch which had cut up in the LDV Vans Trophy Final between Port Vale and Brentford played beforehand.

The Londoners had eight players in their side who had played in the First Team this season while City had just Scott Kerr who has come off the bench once in the Worthington Cup tie at home to Darlington.

It was Leyton Orient who adapted to the heavy conditions quicker but it was City who had the first shot on goal when Andrew Lee saw his 4th minute shot go just over.

Jabo Ibehre and Keleche Opara were causing City problems up front having several attempts on goal only just short of the target.

On 21 minutes Ben Jones brought off a good save low down from Glen Morris in the O's goal and three minutes later he combined well with Kerr, Lee and Forrest which resulted in the ball eventually going out for a corner.

After 32 minutes Danny Forrest was obstructed on the edge of the area and Scott Kerr's free kick was only just over the bar.

Leyton Orient thought they had broken the deadlock two minutes later with the ball being put beyond Worsnop into the back of the net but to the relief of the young Bantams the linesman had already signalled for offside.

On 40 minutes Dave Pasrons ran down rhe right but Kerr came in with a perfectly timed tackle which saw the ball go for a corner.

Three minutes before half-time came the decision which decided the game when the referee ruled that Lewis Emanuel had pulled an Orient player's shirt when he was in the area and gave a penalty which at the time looked very dubious. Subsequent replays however proved he had made the right decision although Orient were also guilty of the same offence but this had gone unseen by the Bristol official, Lee Probert.

Billy Jones stepped up and blasted the ball beyond Worsnop who had dived in the wrong direction.

The second half started the same as the first with Orient piling on the pressure.

Nine minutes into the half Ben Jones passed the ball to Andrew Lee whose shot from 30 yards out only just went over the bar.

Play continued to go from end to end but the City lads were unable to pull back the deficit leaving them to collect the runner-up medals (pictured below)

Bradford City 0
Leyton Orient 1 (Billy Jones 42 (pen)

Bradford City:
Worsnop, Rutherford (Sanasy), Brodie, Kerr, Robert Morgan, Emanuel, Lee, Fishlock, Forrest, Ben Jones, Flynn (Lo Piccolo)
Subs (not used): Beach, McGahey, Bentham

Leyton Orient:
Morris, Dorrian, Billy Jones, Parsons, McElholm, Stephens, Gould, Grimsdell, Ibehre (Tommy Morgan), Opara (Hatcher), Murray (Gough)
Subs: Bray, Barnard

 Best with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 and higher Copyright © 2001 intheteam